On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:33:18 PM UTC-8 François Bissey wrote:

> I guess it is my fault for doing CI, including doc, straight from git.

No, there's nothing wrong with it; this is the normal way to use the
repository now and in the planned future.
After running ./bootstrap, the source tree contains several self-contained
Python distribution package source trees in build/pkgs/*/src/, which can be
built and installed normally (setup.py install, setup.py bdist_wheel,
etc.). Right now * is "sagelib", "sage_docbuild", and "sage_sws2rst".
Modularization will add more.
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29868 will add "sagemath_doc_html" -- your
custom script to build the documentation will reduce to running "setup.py
install" for this package.