On Wednesday 27 February 2008, William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Francis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >  The "evaluate" links for the notebook introduced in SAGE 2.9.2 have
> >  never worked for me (Mac OS X 10.4.11, SAGE 2.9.2 -- 2.10.2 + either
> >  Safari or Firefox).  The links appears when they should and seem to be
> >  correct, e.g., (reformatted):

> >        class = "eval_button"
> >        id    = "eval_button115"
> >        alt   = "Click here or press shift-return to evaluate">
> >     evaluate
> >     </a>
> >
> >  but clicking on the link has no effect.  This is a pity, as it's a
> >  (potentially) very nice feature.  The cells evaluate perfectly well
> >  with shift-return.
>
> I just want to point out that the evaluate link *does* work for me
> and most people in Firefox.   It does not work for me in Safari.
> I don't understand why it doesn't work, but all your hints in this
> email will help.  Thanks!  We're tracking this issue at
>  http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2332
>
> >  Looking at this link, and cell.py line 575, where it's created, I fail
> >  to see what is wrong.  Perhaps the javascript function evaluate_cell
> >  (defined in js.py) can't be found in this context?
> >
> >  One thing I did notice is the attribute
> >     alt="Click here or press shift-return to evaluate"
> >  There is no alt attribute for the A element in HTML 4.01, so it has no
> >  effect here.  Probably 'alt' should be replaced by 'title'.  Though,
> >  of course, this isn't the cause of my main problem.
> >

> >  A couple of other details from cell.py noticed in passing:
> >
> >  line  64: math_parse is defined in html.py not cell.py
> >
> >  line 577: has no effect.  Presumably it should have been commented out
> >  along with lines 579--584.
Just to add that I've had some problems with evaluate links using Firefox
on Ubuntu 7.10. I've mentioned it before, but I've upgraded the OS and Firefox
(2.0.0.12) and it still is somewhat erratic. Clicking on the link works
most times, but every now and then it simply 'deselects' the current cell
but fails to notify the server. No vertical bar to suggest evaluating, and
the cursor disappears. Clicking on the cell restores sanity. I've monitored
the network traffic using wireshark (with the server in insecure mode so
I can read the messages) and see all the transactions up to the point where
I click on the link but nothing comes through at that point. Must be something
in the Javascript, I guess, but I haven't been able to figure out what as
yet.

Bill