On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, bill purvis wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, William Stein wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Francis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>>  The "evaluate" links for the notebook introduced in SAGE 2.9.2 have
>>>  never worked for me (Mac OS X 10.4.11, SAGE 2.9.2 -- 2.10.2 + either
>>>  Safari or Firefox).  The links appears when they should and seem to be
>>>  correct, e.g., (reformatted):

>>>        class = "eval_button"
>>>        id    = "eval_button115"
>>>        alt   = "Click here or press shift-return to evaluate">
>>>     evaluate
>>>     </a>
>>>
>>>  but clicking on the link has no effect.  This is a pity, as it's a
>>>  (potentially) very nice feature.  The cells evaluate perfectly well
>>>  with shift-return.
>>
>> I just want to point out that the evaluate link *does* work for me
>> and most people in Firefox.   It does not work for me in Safari.
>> I don't understand why it doesn't work, but all your hints in this
>> email will help.  Thanks!  We're tracking this issue at
>>  http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2332
>>
>>>  Looking at this link, and cell.py line 575, where it's created, I fail
>>>  to see what is wrong.  Perhaps the javascript function evaluate_cell
>>>  (defined in js.py) can't be found in this context?
>>>
>>>  One thing I did notice is the attribute
>>>     alt="Click here or press shift-return to evaluate"
>>>  There is no alt attribute for the A element in HTML 4.01, so it has no
>>>  effect here.  Probably 'alt' should be replaced by 'title'.  Though,
>>>  of course, this isn't the cause of my main problem.
>>>

>>>  A couple of other details from cell.py noticed in passing:
>>>
>>>  line  64: math_parse is defined in html.py not cell.py
>>>
>>>  line 577: has no effect.  Presumably it should have been commented out
>>>  along with lines 579--584.
> Just to add that I've had some problems with evaluate links using Firefox
> on Ubuntu 7.10. I've mentioned it before, but I've upgraded the OS and Firefox
> (2.0.0.12) and it still is somewhat erratic. Clicking on the link works
> most times, but every now and then it simply 'deselects' the current cell
> but fails to notify the server. No vertical bar to suggest evaluating, and
> the cursor disappears. Clicking on the cell restores sanity. I've monitored
> the network traffic using wireshark (with the server in insecure mode so
> I can read the messages) and see all the transactions up to the point where
> I click on the link but nothing comes through at that point. Must be something
> in the Javascript, I guess, but I haven't been able to figure out what as
> yet.

It's frustrating not to have access to the platform that this is broken on...
I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and the same version of Firefox, and it works fine for
me.  But, I might have a solution for you guys, in the short term:

Find the following line in js.py, in the function cell_blur(id):

     setTimeout("set_class('eval_button"+id+"','eval_button')", 100)

and comment it out.  It's responsible for making the link disappear when you've
left the cell.  If that doesn't work, then I'll be really baffled (ok, even
more baffled than I am already).  If it does work, then change the 100 to a
1000 (delay in miliseconds), and see if it still works.