On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 5:49:50 AM UTC-7 William Stein wrote:

To what extent does or could Conda with a little more work solve most
of these problems? [...]
I also think this section
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html#using-conda-to-provide-all-dependencies-for-the-sage-library-experimental

called "Using conda to provide all dependencies for the Sage library
(experimental)" is pretty exciting!

Yes, I think this mode of installation should be the future default of Sage
for developers.

In any case, I think that migrating from "Sage the distribution" to
solving a lot of the misc environment issues
via conda would be very analogous to switching to Github, instead of
maintaining our own issue tracker.

Indeed, and just like in our successful transition to GitHub, a clean
planned switchover to the new model is the most effective solution.

Attempts to do this gradually (such as the attempt of a soft transition
from Trac to GitLab by means of maintaining a Trac<->GitLab gateway) fail
because of the concave costs on the path from one end to the other.

So, as I said, I would welcome a clear decision by the community to do so
-- with a target date or target release number.