On Fri, 2023-04-28 at 18:06 +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> To me at least, it would be unwise not run the test suite.
>
> If you are choosing to use 15-20 year old hardware, you can not reasonably
> to handle a large modern program like Sagemath. More modern machines than
> that get thrown in skips. šŸ˜‚

I have ~1,000 other modern packages built from source on these machines
and hack on many of them. The hardware is as fast as the day I bought
it. The issue is not that sage is modern, rather that it's still built
like a pet project from 2005.

The test suite is an entirely different topic where your criticism is
more valid. There are a few different issues there, all pretty
irrelevant to this discussion:

  * We have many redundant tests
  * Doctests inherently require redundancy and are relatively slow
  * We have tests for bugs that were fixed in upstream projects
    and are already checked by the upstream test suite
  * The "too long" warning is outrageously high
  * The "too long" warning uses "wall time", which is meaningless
    as an objective measure of how much computation is done. SomeoneĀ
    with newer hardware can easily introduce a "fast" test thatĀ
    takesĀ over a minute for me to run.

Beyond that, whatever time it takes to run the test suite is necessary
and I'm not complaining about it. It's the unnecessary bit that's
annoying.