Thanks for restarting the discussion Tobias.  From my perspective, there
are several things that can move this conversation forward.
1. More clarity on how NEP-29 will be implemented in Sage.  In particular,
that policy just guarantees a particular time frame during which Python
*will* be supported, but doesn't describe what happens afterward.  Once the
window is passed, is someone (who?) going to proactively update build
scripts to prohibit the old version of python?  Or does it just grant
permission for people to use features that are not available in the old
Python, and merging such a PR will also involve updating the build
requirements?
2. A wiki page. Currently, the arguments for and against this change are
pretty scattered.  Tobias (and Dima), could you create a wiki page where
pros and cons are summarized?  Once you do, I would suggest running it by
Matthias, since a lot of the arguments against it have come from him.
3. A timeline.  I'm going to suggest three weeks for discussion, with
voting starting July 18 and ending one week later on July 25 (anywhere on
earth).  I know that there have been conversations on and off about this
issue for a while, but I think having some time dedicated to focused
discussion may help others feel like they have a full grasp of the issue.
4. Additional people getting involved in the conversation.  Tobias, Dima
and Matthias all clearly feel quite strongly about this issue and have been
involved in it for a while.  Other people can hopefully bring some more
perspectives, suggesting compromises or giving additional perspectives.  In
the end, we *need* other people to vote, so that Tobias, Dima and Matthias
can get some resolution on this.
5. A moderator.  Several people asked me to moderate last time, and I'll do
my best for this discussion.  I'll start with a few requests for everyone
involved.
 * First, I think multiple short, quick rebuttals are not a good idea in a
heated email discussion.  We have three weeks.  Take the time to collect
your thoughts and respond to the whole of an argument.  If appropriate, add
things to the pros and cons on the wiki page.  Most of all, take the time
to read what you've written and think about how it will be received by both
the people you're arguing with and the thousands of people subscribed to
sage-devel.
 * Second, take a step back and think about what you can do to make this
environment more welcoming and pleasant for everyone.  I know several
people involved have said that the issues we're discussing, and the way
we're discussing them, have lessened their desire to contribute to Sage,
and I think that would be a tragedy.  All three of you are critical members
of this community, and I don't want to lose you.  I'm not going to
prescribe anything specific, but I think it would help if everyone can
think about ways to show that you value the people involved, even if we
have specific technical disagreements.
 * Third, while work goes forward on a summarizing wiki page, I'd like to
hear suggestions from others about how to make the process better.  Feel
free to email the list or write to me directly.

We made it through the github discussion, and we can make it through this.
Stay positive.
David