On Wednesday, April 24, 2024 at 6:48:30 AM UTC-7 Oscar Benjamin wrote:

Is the benefit in this case mainly about reduced disk/network usage?

I could imagine other theoretical benefits like maybe some parts could
be installed natively on Windows or some parts might be easier to
provide binaries for etc.

Oscar, thanks for bringing up these important points.

Yes, the modularization -- namely the ability to separately build and run
and test portions of the Sage library -- also facilitates porting to new
platforms in several ways.
- If nothing else, because it enables an incremental approach to porting: I
don't have to first make the whole thing build before I can run and test a
portion.
- More importantly, it varies very much by the dependency packages how hard
it is to port them to a new platform; and how much *interest* in the
developer community of these packages there is in porting.

Yes, native Windows would clearly be a very important target.

In another direction: I have started a port of Sage to pyodide, the
distribution of Python for WebAssembly (WASM), which makes Python runnable
directly in the browser. I can already run and test the modularized
distributions **sagemath-objects**, **sagemath-categories** there.

See
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Sage-10.3-Release-Tour#porting-to-the-pyodide-web-assembly-platform

As I wrote there: "Several upstream projects that Sage uses already have
ongoing Pyodide or WASM/Emscripten efforts: The SymPy Live Shell
<https://live.sympy.org/index.html> and the interactive shell on the
NumPy.org front page <https://numpy.org/> use JupyterLite
<https://jupyterlite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>, running Pyodide in a Web
Worker in the browser. Also PARI/GP runs in the browser
<https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/gpexpwasm.html> using a WASM/Emscripten
port. Giac also has an Emscripten port
<https://github.com/geogebra/giac?tab=readme-ov-file>."