Another amusing quote, this time from the sbrk man page on macOS:

That seems to be a paraphrase of the FreeBSD man page, which says:

> The brk() and sbrk() functions are legacy interfaces from before the
advent of modern virtual
> memory management. They are deprecated and not present on the arm64 or
riscv architectures.
> The mmap(2) interface should be used to allocate pages instead.

Given that GAP runs on arm64, I suspect that it doesn't use sbrk in an
essential way anymore.  Of course fork is a different story.  But there are
surely lots of examples of programs that use fork which have been ported to
Windows.  I would guess that emacs is among them.  (It has been ported to
Windows - I assume it uses fork on posix systems).

- Marc