On Wednesday, June 5, 2024 at 9:46:05 AM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Monday, June 3, 2024 at 8:16:30 PM UTC+1 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

Unlikely that we would add a package to the Sage distribution that builds a
Rust library from source.

Not so long ago we added support for installing Python packages from
platform-independent wheels. We did this to sidestep the concern of
shipping more and more of Javascript (Node.js) infrastructure that is
needed for building JupyterLab components.

Likewise, we will soon add support for installing Python packages from
platform-dependent wheels. This is needed for updating some Jupyter
components that have started to use Rust (https://github.com/crate-py/rpds,
a dependency of jsonschema).

Could you be more specific on this, please? [...] Where would these wheels
come from? From PyPI?

(In the Sage distribution, they won't be "pip" packages -- which are an
underdeveloped mechanism in the build system of the Sage distribution --
but rather a variant of the existing "wheel" packages.)

As the upstream developer, you would publish binary wheels to PyPI, likely
in the same way as is done in
https://github.com/crate-py/rpds/blob/main/.github/workflows/CI.yml

- Like I wrote below the fold: The upstream project makes the binary wheels
and uploads them to PyPI as usual.
- When we make a package update in the Sage distribution, we download the
wheels from PyPI (the upstream_url of the package) and upload them to the
mirrors (and to the GitHub Release Assets).
- When the package is installed, the Sage distribution downloads the wheels
from GitHub Release Assets, falling back to mirrors, then falling back to
the upstream_url.

In other words, just like what we do for any other normal/wheel package in
the Sage distribution.

The only technical change: There's more than one "tarball" associated with
these packages.