On Mon, 2024-06-03 at 12:54 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> Could you share details regarding this? I'm not sure who "we" is in what
> you write, but in the last Jupyter PR that I prepared, I had to use some
> older versions of some packages to avoid pulling in the Rust dependency at
> this point.

The one I have in mind is: I am peacefully using borgbackup, a python
program, to back up our servers.

Borg depends on pkgconfig (python). Pkgconfig uses poetry (python) as
its build system. But poetry has a dependency on jsonschema (python),
and one day, the jsonschema package adds a dependency on rpds (rust).
Now I need to rebuild rust packages every time I update my system in
order to use my python backup program. This requires a rust compiler,
ABI unstable, so not only do I have to update the packages that have
changed but pretty much every rust package on the system during every
upgrade.

Poetry is a popular build system so this impacted many casual users of
python programs. It was a major PITA on Gentoo in particular because
python runs on more architectures than rust. Lots of end user packages
"broke" when the rust dependency was introduced because on certain
arches those dependencies "disappeared."

Anyway, poetry eventually replaced jsonschema with fastjsonschema to
avoid cursing its own users:

  https://github.com/python-poetry/poetry-core/pull/642