On Tuesday 3 September 2024 at 23:53:33 UTC-7 john wrote:

Indeed, Magma's AlgebraicallyClosedField is not embedded into CC; it also
has no version of AA.  And Nils meant what he said about large *finite*
fields being used to keep track.  I find QQbar easier to use -- but
when Magma's AlgebraicallyClosedField was first developed it was a really
original idea and state of the art, there is at least one paper describing
how it works (Nils, I cannot remember the author -- is it Allan Steele?).

Yes, Allan Steel. ANTS 2002:
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/3-540-45455-1_38
Super elegant idea. And no precision issues to take care of ... until your
randomly chosen 30 digit prime ends up dividing a denominator or a
discriminant of one of the algebraic numbers you happen to reference.