On Tuesday 3 September 2024 at 20:52:04 UTC-7 Kwankyu Lee wrote:

If you mean "branch choice" in mathematical sense, the branch choice of
Qbar (and CC and RR)

ln(z) = ln(r) + i * theta for z = r * exp(i * theta) with r > 0,  -pi <
theta <= pi

(note <= at the end) is most natural for maximal continuity. I think this
is more mathematical than choosing a "branch" that "does not require an
extension of the parent".

I think the opinion about what is "mathematical" is where the difference
lies here and it may well depend on whether you're more algebraically or
analytically oriented. As an algebraist, one does not tend to think of Qbar
or AA explicitly embedded in CC, so there is no natural extension of
exponents beyond QQ. Hence, QQ does not come with a particular topology on
it, so there is no continuity to consider. Exponentiation on Qbar embedded
in the p-adic C_p would work out *very* differently.

For many (most?) applications of Qbar, its embedding into CC is only used
to tell conjugates apart. Indeed, Magma's algebraic closure of QQ does not
use an embedding into CC but instead tracks conjugate labels using a large
finite field.