On Wednesday, September 4, 2024 at 12:22:33 PM UTC+9 Nils Bruin wrote:

On Tuesday 3 September 2024 at 19:44:43 UTC-7 Kwankyu Lee wrote:

I think that only valid argument for AA(-1)^(1/3) = -1 is that it is the
status quo. It is just human that likes what she/he used to. Removing
inconsistency is for the future.

The fact that powers with odd denominator do not leave AA is also a
documented design decision:

Anything that was deprecated in sage had been documented, of course. If
something is changed, the documentation also changes.

... I'd add as a valid argument for the branch choice in AA that it makes
sense to choose a branch that does *not* require an extension of the
parent, if possible. Yes, it's a different branch choice than the one made
in Qbar, but AA and Qbar are different objects, with AA coercible into Qbar.

If you mean "branch choice" in mathematical sense, the branch choice of
Qbar (and CC and RR)

ln(z) = ln(r) + i * theta for z = r * exp(i * theta) with r > 0,  -pi <
theta <= pi

(note <= at the end) is most natural for maximal continuity. I think this
is more mathematical than choosing a "branch" that "does not require an
extension of the parent".