Indeed, Magma's AlgebraicallyClosedField is not embedded into CC; it also
has no version of AA.  And Nils meant what he said about large *finite*
fields being used to keep track.  I find QQbar easier to use -- but
when Magma's AlgebraicallyClosedField was first developed it was a really
original idea and state of the art, there is at least one paper describing
how it works (Nils, I cannot remember the author -- is it Allan Steele?).

John