On Apr 10, 2:14 pm, mhampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A link to 7zip.org right by the archive or in the install instructions
> would help.

will be there ...

> but I'm not convinced that computer literacy of any depth
> as increased ...

Yes, especially because I think that's far more general. That computer
literacy only increases, if there is some interest/force/reward to
master the problems [e.g. nobody knows more about graphic cards +
drivers than active gamers!], but this applies to all areas in life.
Humans constantly optimize themselves and new things with a barrier
are avoided, if there are other shorter path to accomplish the task.
Even if in a long term period the initial higher investment would have
the greater return of investment. So, emphasis should be in explaining
why an open system with involvement of everybody is better than a
closed up encapsulated for-profit one. Then the motivation is higher
to master install instructions.
But, disclaimer, that's just my private theory concerning the "dumb
colorful point and click" vs. "complex and fast functionality" war ;)