On Oct 28, 6:30 am, "David Joyner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Though I'm in favor of making things easier for the debian
> process (both (a) to add more Sage users and (b) in the perhaps
> wildly overly optimistic hope that one day Canonical will support Sage
> somehow), I wonder if it is possible for someone sufficiently
> skillful to write a script which crawls through the *.spkg files
> and rewrites them in a new directory as files convenient for Tim Abbott to
> use. Is this doable, and if so would it help?

To be clear, the 3-line patch I wrote should resolve Debian's review
issue, and it's not likely that the sagemath package will go through
this review process more than once.  So, switching to .tar.bz2 is
unlikely at this point to make things any easier for the Debian
process.  Writing a script to rewrite .spkg files to .tar.bz2 files
could be done fairly easily, but I don't think it would solve the
problem of tools that detect file types using extensions not working
with .spkg files.

        -Tim Abbott