Martin Albrecht wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Jason Grout wrote:
>> Martin Albrecht wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> go to http://wiki.sagemath.org and open an account (I think the link is
>>> in the northwest corner). Then you can start a new wiki page and upload
>>> the talks as attachment (there is online help in case you never worked
>>> with a wiki before).
>>>
>>> I would suggest to have a table with the following entries:
>>> - date
>>> - title
>>> - place (institution)
>>> - author
>>> - link to PDF
>>> - link to sources (optional)
>>> - intended audience
>>> - comments
>> Maybe also the license of the talk (GDFL, Creative Commons, etc.).  That
>> way people understand when they may use parts of a talk and when they
>> may not.
>
> Unfortunately you are probably right and one even is supposed to put a
> license
> on a bunch of slides. Somehow this feels like undermining the informal
> understanding that information is given to be used. What's the
> do-whatever-you-want document license?

The absolute least restrictive is putting them in public domain.  IIRC,
that basically means that you disclaim any copyright.  According to the
Creative Commons website, this might be invalid outside of the U.S.

A little more restrictive would be one of the Creative Commons licenses.
      You can see a very simple, nice overview by going to
http://creativecommons.org and selecting "License your work" in the
upper right corner (on the green titlebar).

One other thing to note: I think I recognized some of the slides in your
talk from some of the other talks.  If someone copies some work out of
another talk, they need to be careful claiming (or disclaiming)
copyright (unless that other work is public domain).  If the other work
is under creative commons or similar license, it might allow for copying
as well (but might mandate that credit be given).

David Joyner seems to be our resident expert on copyright, though, so
you probably ought to trust his comments more than mine :).

Jason