Hi Jaap,

On 22 Nov., 22:54, Jaap Spies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > For early adopters, sage-3.2 has been released.  You can get the
> > source from here:http://sagemath.org/src/
> > Or you can do "sage -upgrade".
>
> > Binaries and an official announcement should come within a day or two.
>
> > William
>
> After sage -upgrade I get:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sage-3.2]$ sage
> | Sage Version 3.2, Release Date: 2008-11-20                         |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/local/sage/local/bin/sage-location", line 134, in <module>
>      t, R = install_moved()
>    File "/usr/local/sage/local/bin/sage-location", line 18, in install_moved
>      write_flags_file()
>    File "/usr/local/sage/local/bin/sage-location", line 63, in
> write_flags_file
>      open(flags_file,'w').write(get_flags_info())
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/usr/local/sage/local/lib/sage-flags.txt'
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jaap

that file "sage-flags.txt" came in due to a recent patch I was the
reviewer for.

The intention is to store on Linux systems, with which processor flags
a binary distribution was originally compiled, in order to catch
certain hard-to-debug failures.
Obviously, there is some reason for the existence of a trac ticket
saying "rename 'sage -upgrade' to 'sage -expert-upgrade' ", because in
between releases certain things might break. (We did test "fresh"
installations ...)

Now if you don't have a Linux system (but say e.g. a Mac), just create
an empty "sage-flags.txt" file there and everything will be fine.
If that does not work for you, the probably easiest thing (taking only
some time) for you is to download a Sage 3.2 source tarball, install
that one somewhere temporarily, and copy at least the then created
file "%TMP_SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/sage-flags.txt" over.

Of course it would be best to know why on earth the "sage-location"
script suddenly does not seem to have the rights to create a new file
in your "/usr/local/sage/local/" directory ... but I have no clue.

Cheers,
gsw