Ok, I figured it out. After downloading the dmg I dragged it to my
desktop and double clicked on it to start. It came up, but Maxima/
clisp did not start.

So, after quitting I run that sage on the command line and low and
behold the rebase script ran:

Sprocketer:sage michaelabshoff$ ./sage
| Sage Version 3.3.rc0, Release Date: 2009-02-11                     |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
The SAGE install tree may have moved.
Regenerating Python.pyo and .pyc files that hardcode the install PATH
(please wait at
most a few minutes)...
Do not interrupt this.

Afterwards Maxima and clisp work:

sage: !maxima
Maxima 5.16.3 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp CLISP 2.46 (2008-07-02)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) 2+2;
(%o1)                                  4
(%i2)
sage: !clisp
  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Welcome to GNU CLISP 2.46 (2008-07-02) <http://clisp.cons.org/>

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2008

Type :h and hit Enter for context help.

[1]>
Bye.
sage:
Exiting SAGE (CPU time 0m0.12s, Wall time 0m21.46s).
Sprocketer:sage michaelabshoff$

This is now a critical ticket for 3.3 at #5254. Should we default to
creating app bundles for OSX [which I assume we want :)] this must be
fixed. I plan to change a couple things and fix a few bugs I noticed
in the App bundle anyway.

So if you want the App bundle to work well on OSX please download the
above and after manually starting the sage script once in
$SAGE_APP_ROOT/Contents/Resources/sage give it a spin and try to break
it.

The four issues besides this one above I tend to fix are:

  * default the name to Sage-x.y.z.app - that way you can have many
Sage releases in parallel :)
  * fix a bug that causes the app to fail to start if the name of the
app contains spaces
  * remove the extra copyright work in credits as well as give credit
to "William Stein and the Sage Development Team"
  * do not put the app skeleton in a tar.gz in the ext repo since it
makes applying patches very expensive and opaque

Mark: Thanks again for pointing out this bug. We would have had a log
of egg on our face should this have slipped through :)

Cheers,

Michael