I finally got Sage.app working.  Still there seems
something a bit odd about the fix.  I had, in my home
directory, a .maxima directory with a file named
maxima-init.mac that sets certain maxima preferences.
Once I deleted this file, everything worked fine.  As I
understand it though, the sage directory is supposed to be
independent of the rest of the system.  Evidently, the
latest version of sage is reading information from my
home directory.  My old sage (v3.0.1) runs fine without
removing the file, however.

The two lines in the maxima-init file were exactly the
following:
set_plot_option([gnuplot_term, aqua]);
set_plot_option([gnuplot_pipes_term, aqua]);

Of course, now I can no longer plot from my standalone
copy of maxima. :)

One final comment: George's patch was unnecessary.  I
hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

Mark McClure