Hi Mark,
hi Michael,

actually I am using Mac OS X 10.4.11 on the Intel Core2Duo MacBook
where I tested it. I should have noted that I did download the source
distribution .tar and did build on this box my own "10.4" .dmg with
which I tested the new version of the script. (Aha -- I did rename the
original build directory to get it out the way, but is it possible
that e.g. the Maxima dynamic lib had stayed somehow in RAM and was
just reused?)

This is because Michael is right (and I knew it), that the OS X 10.5
built binary most probably would fail on OS X 10.4. (Though I can't
point my finger to a specific reason, is it Xcode 3.0/OS X 10.5 vs.
Xcode 2.5/OS X 10.4? But Xcode 2.5 is at least available for OS X
10.5, too.)

What you did was exactly the recipe for you to be done (I hope "755"
is the right chmod magic, I always mess this up).

Since I know persons (me, myself and I) that tend to move OS X app
bundles around from one place to another, I hardcoded in the script
that everytime you double-click the Sage app, it checks whether the
location has moved (calling the script for this, named "sage-
location").

The reason why this is not done in general, i.e. in "/Applications/
Sage.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage" itself, is the following use
case:

On certain sites, Sage is not a per-user install, but is installed by
the admin in a central place where not every user has write
permissions. So it would be fatal if a "normal" user starting Sage up
would require per default that some files were to be written. Let
alone if the startup would vitally depend on this.

But e.g. for Mac OS X app bundles, it should be safe to call the "sage-
location" script each and every time at the startup of Sage --- the
additional time needed is negligible in the "good" case, and extremely
welcomed in the "bad" case.

@Michael and all others:
What do you think about a patch of the sage script (or, say, "sage-
sage"; maybe "sage-run", too) along these lines --- right after sage-
env do check e.g. for UNAME==Darwin and then if so call "sage-
location" at every start of Sage?

Cheers,
gsw