On Feb 15, 6:46 am, mark mcclure <mcmcc...@unca.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 4:59 am, "Georg S. Weber" <georgswe...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:

Hi Mark,

> > a patch is up for review at #5254.
>
> George,
>
> I applied your patch without success on my laptop at home.
> However, the problem could very well be that I've got OS
> 10.4.11 at home while Michael built Sage.app for 10.5.

The binary build on OSX 10.5 will not work on OSX 10.4. The other way
around we have seen that it does work (at least on occasion), but
since the vast majority of Sage devs have moved on to 10.5 and we are
having a hard time finding even a 10.4 Intel build box I don't see us
providing OSX 10.4 binaries for 10.4 and 10.5 any time soon. Note that
once Apple releases 10.6 in the summer they will likely end support
for 10.4, too. I can see us providing 10.4 binaries until the hardware
physically implodes we use to build or XCode running on OSX 10.4 will
cease to build Sage from sources. Both are unlikely to happen any time
soon, but as we still get requests for OSX 10.3 binaries on occasion
it seems that some people keep running on the no longer supported
releases.

> I can try it on 10.5 tomorrow at work but, since I've never
> applied a patch before, I'd like to describe what I intend
> to try to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  As I
> understand it, I should try the following:
>   * Install Sage.app afresh from the .dmg file.
>   * Download your attachement from trac, which appears
>     to be a simple bash script.
>   * Name the attachment 'script' and place it in
>     /Applications/Sage.app/Contents/Resources,
>     overwriting the previous version.
>   * Set the permissions to 755.
>   * Double click on Sage.app.

Yep, pretty much.

> One other issue though.  The patch only seems applicable
> to Sage.app, not to the command line.  That is, I'd like
> to be able to type:
> /Applications/Sage.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage
> but I don't think your script ever even runs in that case.

The script should only trigger if you move the Sage install. If you
manually triggered it already once in its current location there will
be no change until you move Sage again.

> Thanks,
> Mark McClure

Cheers,