I am an example for someone that does use both modes. I do symbolic
derivations and transformations and then apply them to data, so I fancy
a system where both symbolic evaluations and numerical approximations
can be done transparently. If one is only interested in numerical
evaluations, why not use e.g. Octave? In my opinion, installing only a
set of numerical tools or only a set of symbolic tools in Sage would
amount to crippling a great piece of software, so if such an option was
made possible we should make sure that a message is plastered all over
the interface to make sure people don't confuse this with the real Sage.

I apologise in advance if I misunderstood the context of this thread.

Cheers
Stan