On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Golam Mortuza Hossain
<gmhoss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This does not seem to be true.
>>>
>>> I just ran Maxima on  'diff(f(x),x)  and I got this:
>>>
>>> {d}\over{d\,x}}\,f\left(x\right)
>>>

>>> So if it uses \partial, it is because Sage is messing it up.
>>
>> You're right, it does not use partial for a single variable, even through
>> Sage.
>>
>> sage: m = maxima('integrate(sin(x^3),x)')
>> sage: m
>> 'integrate(sin(x^3),x)
>> sage: m._latex_()
>> '\\int {\\sin x^3}{\\;dx}'
>> sage: latex(integrate(sin(x^3),x))
>> \int {\sin x^3}{\;dx}
>
> May be I am missing something. Does typesetting of "diff" somehow
> depend on typesetting of "integrate"?
>
> If I try following in Sage (v3.4) I get "\partial" for function
> with single variable. So it could be due to maxima-interface of Sage,
> unless my sage installation is messed up.
> f(x) = function('f',x)
> latex(diff(f(x),x))
> ---
> {{{\it \partial}}\over{{\it \partial}\,x}}\,f\left(x\right)

Very good point!  I just had a look and for some mysterious reason line 550 in

   devel/sage/sage/interfaces/maxima.py

is

        self._sendline(r":lisp (defun tex-derivative (x l r) (tex (if
$derivabbrev (tex-dabbrev x) (tex-d x '\\partial)) l r lop rop ))")

which means "change to use that partial when starting up any maxima interface".
I don't know why that is there or who wanted it.

william