On Apr 24, 2:12 pm, Ben Goodrich <goodrich....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2:27 pm, Tim Abbott <tabb...@mit.edu> wrote:

<SNIP>

Hi Ben,

> On the issue of using pre-release versions of Sage dependencies,
> perhaps as a last resort we could ask Debian package maintainers to
> upload a SVN version to the experimental repository and a reasonably
> up-to-date version of Sage could be put into experimental while an
> older version of Sage goes into unstable and later testing whenever it
> is possible to sync a Sage release to officially versions of its
> dependencies? And people could get Sage from experimental if they need
> it. This would also make it possible for Ubuntu and other distros that
> cherry-pick from experimental to include Sage in their regular
> releases. The major issue that I can see is that maybe experimental
> contains a pre-release of gcc or something than an individual does not
> want but does want Sage from experimental. Perhaps that can be
> addressed with tight enough versioning of Sage's dependencies, even
> though Debian sort of frowns on that.

Sure.

In general anything in Debian stable one day will be woefully out of
date by the time the freeze in Debian is over. I think the only viable
option to use Sage in Debian is to use it from experimental/testing
since any support request for say a year old version of Sage will
likely start with the question "Can someone reproduce this in the
current release". Any patch from our end will only go in the next
release unless we decide one day to do support some stable release for
a while (and I am honestly not seeing that happening for a while). So
having Ubuntu package Sage like in 9.04 and having that distro live
for a year (assuming they had packaged something current) seems to be
reasonable for the casual user who does not want to live on the
bleeding edge of Sage.

> Ben

Cheers,

Michael