> At this stage I do believe you might have a hard time getting this
> into 4.0 given the time frame and the ToDo list, but we will see what
> happens :)

I let you pickup the best option.

> Aren't there major design issues like dynamic classes to be
> discussed first? You mentioned a design document you were writing
> with Florent - is that around yet?

The discussions at MSRI were pretty useful, so from my point of view
there just remains a couple minor design decisions. Of course, I
definitely still need to make my point for the decision I have taken :-)
This is the current main purpose of the primer (still a draft though).

> The ToDo list also mentions that you are still working on having
> this work with Cython classes. Can you elaborate on that a little?

I guess 10 lines of code will be worth 10 pages of discussion. I'll
try to write a proof of concept next week.

> > Also, if you really need to modify any of file listed below, please
> > double check the patch and synchronize with me (most of the changes
> > are trivial import updates). Michael: if you spot a patch doing so,
> > please ping me.
>
> Ok, but I am pretty sure due to many doctesting patches as well as
> work on ReSTifying documentation many patches will be touched.

Precisely: do we really need to doctest right now things that are
about to change soon? For example, the recent doctesting of
sage/categories/morphisms.py made me loose quite some time.

> splitting of the patch bomb:

Before posting the patch to trac, I'll split it up into:

 - patch with all trivial import updates (the most invasive one)
 - main patch with the category framework (with updates to parents/morphism/...)
   and the categories themselves
   this one is hard to split further
 - patch updating about 10 existing sage classes with too many
   interdependencies to be updated later on (morphisms)
 - patches with applications (combinatorial free modules, sf, ...)

But this is really to split the reviewing process by area of
expertise. There are a lot of interdependencies, so I don't think we
can apply only a subset and still maintain 100% positive tests. Sage
probably won't even run without applying all three first patches.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/