On May 5, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Brian Granger wrote:

>> The Sage worksheet at
>>
>> http://abstract.ups.edu/sage-aata.html
>>
>> contains Sage code that was not written in a notebook.  While that
>> could be obvious if you actually looked at the file, technically I
>> think there is no way to prove just where I wrote it - notebook or
>> not.
>
> Regardless of the how you wrote this, many people would consider your
> worksheet a derived work of Sage and thus say that your current
> license (CC) violates the GPL.

A sage worksheet is no more a derived work of Sage than a jpeg would
be a derived work of Photoshop/GIMP or a .doc file would be a derived
work of MS Office or OpenOffice. I am using Apple's Mail.app to
compose this message, but the work is entirely mine (well, the non-
quoted part :-). A derived work would be if I took someone else's
worksheet, or even a python file, chapter out of a textbook, etc. and
made a new worksheet out of it.

>> So originally, I had a copyright interest in this work.
>
> Copyright is different from license.  You most likely still have full
> copyright over the work.
>
>> I could have
>> kept it that way, made it GFDL (or GPL), or use CC (which I did).  So
>> I understand the answer to be that you can do whatever you wish
>> with a
>> Sage worksheet (the notebook is the interface), no matter what you
>> (legally) place in it that you have the rights to.
>
> Possibly, which is part of my original question, but your example
> brings up a different issue.  If you have Sage code (regardless of the
> interface) it is likely a derived work of Sage and thus bound by the
> GPL.

Not unless actual code is copied from Sage and/or distributed Sage
with the file. Of course, your code is much more useful with Sage
than without it, but just because it can be used with Sage or
developed on top of it does not make it a derived work unless you
ship them together.

- Robert