> Sage functions in a simailr way that GIMP does. If I create an image in
> GIMP from scratch then I own the copyright to that image. The license of GIMP,
> which functions as an editor,  a viewer, has it's own plugins for
> postprocessing, ...
> have nothing to do with it.

GIMP is written in a programming language and thus any derived work of
GIMP must also be written in a programming language.  So you are
correct: your TIFF or JPEG that GIMP created is not a derived work
(copyright is a completely different issue).  But Sage using Python
source code *is* source code by definition, just like Sage itself and
thus it can be a derived work.

> In general, to function as a derived work requires that you modify a
> certain number of
> lines in the codebase of the software. I think the GPL FAQ has about 30-50
> (I don't remember exactly). So if Rob had about 50 lines from the Sage source
> in
> his worksheet, that would require him to license it under the GPL.

I have trouble keeping up with all the subtle details of the GPL, but
I have never seen anything like this.  In a quick search through the
GPL FAQ I didn't find anything even close to this.  Unless someone can
show me a reference, I assert that this is completely False.  If it
were true, I could take Sage, change 29 lines of code and
re-distribute it under a crazy closed source license.

Cheers,

Brian