On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In general, to function as a derived work requires that you modify a
>> certain number of
>> lines in the codebase of the software. I think the GPL FAQ has about 30-50
>> (I don't remember exactly). So if Rob had about 50 lines from the Sage
>> source in
>> his worksheet, that would require him to license it under the GPL.
>
> I have trouble keeping up with all the subtle details of the GPL, but
> I have never seen anything like this.  In a quick search through the
> GPL FAQ I didn't find anything even close to this.  Unless someone can
> show me a reference, I assert that this is completely False.  If it
> were true, I could take Sage, change 29 lines of code and
> re-distribute it under a crazy closed source license.

Sorry I fail to see how your statements have anything to do with
what I claimed. I'll try to be more clear. To continue the
hypothetical example: If Rob copied (say) 50 lines
of code from Sage verbatim into a worksheet, he would be (under certain
guidelines) pasting copyrightable code into his creative work.
Therefore in theory he should obey the distribution license of
the work he copied. (I am ignoring fair use issues.) More details are in the
book "Intellectual property and open source" by Lindberg
(sorry, I mistakenly referenced the gpl faq earlier).