2009/5/14 William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>

> Just out of curiosity, do you think there is any chance that Maplesoft
> would provide any funding or help of any kind to an open source
> project whose mission statement is to to "Provide a viable free open
> source alternative to Maple"?

Obviously, I am speculating here.

Funding, I very much doubt.   On the other hand, a link into Maple from Sage
requires a licensed copy of Maple, so it is arguably not taking any
immediate business away from Maplesoft.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't be
opposed, since as you say Sage's ultimate goal is contrary to Maple's
interests.  But it doesn't hurt to ask.

The best way to get them to co-operate would be to offer them something they
don't already have.  There are surely Sage users who have never used Maple,
and significant Maple functionality which is available in no other free CAS.
 Writing Sage interfaces to this functionality would give Sage users who
desire to use it an immediate incentive to purchase Maple licences.  There's
also the idea of writing an interface for calling Sage from Maple, which
would offer a lot of new functionality to Maple users.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask, but we will probably have to give some
thought to the pitch we're making.

Stephen