Hi:

I just want to pass along some ideas I got from Sage developers at the recent
NSF-CDI conference in Rhode Island. I don't know how feasible they are.

(1) One Maple developer suggested that the pexpect interface Sage<->Maple
could be improved using the Openmaple API
(http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=4383).
Instead of passing strings back-and-forth, you simply pass pointers,
which he said would be
faster.

(2) Another person suggested that if one was to ask for Maple support
in any sort of collaborative
project (Hoon Hong suggested that research on interfaces is important
and needs further development,
for example), the best person to ask would be the guy in charge of
R+D, whose name I have
forgotten. Is there any objection to trying to pursue this angle? (I
have no idea how
fruitful it will be, but IMHO it can't hurt to ask.)

- David Joyner