Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
>
>> William Stein wrote:

>>> I still think it is a very good idea to include the trac number in
>>> each commit message.
>>> It makes it vastly easier on people when reading through the hg
>>> history later.
>>>

>> I totally agree.  Is it possible to modify the commit message of a
>> patch
>> when applying the patch to the Sage tree?  That was my suggestion, so
>> that I don't have to worry so much about including the trac ticket
>> number.  I'm constantly finding myself in your situation, where I've
>> created a patch, but then have to re-edit the message just to add the
>> ticket number.
>
> If you're using queues, just use qrefresh -e. Personally, whenever I
> realize I don't have a ticket number, I realize that's a hint I need
> to go and create a ticket :).

I think I'm not communicating my point very clearly.  I'm suggesting
that the release manager have in his patch application script an
automated "prepend 'Trac #xxxx: ' to the commit message" step.  This
ensures that the ticket number mentioned in the commit message is the
right one, makes the logs very consistent and readable, and takes away
human error (and inconvenience).

Jason