On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Robert
Bradshaw<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

>> Well, let me say that I really like to run things on the appengine,
>> rather than to constantly maintain our own servers. I see no reason
>> why the notebook cannot run on the appengine, only the AJAX would talk
>> to our own server with Sage to actually evaluate the cells (and for
>> many people, I think appengine itself could actually be enough). I
>> have to think though what the best way to transfer data to the
>> database with worksheets is though.
>
> +1, though for Sage we rely heavily on compiled code. I wonder how
> much introduced latency there would be if the backend were served on
> a university computer, and the front end in appengine.

I think none, it would be as fast as it is now (e.g. the browser
communicating directly with the engine).

I would like to decouple Sage as the *engine* from the rest. The
engine should handle evaluating cells and storing and retrieving the
state (I guess). Then it can be used in services like Google Wave that
Harald is experimenting with etc.

The AJAX in the browser should be talking directly to the engine (e.g.
just like it is now). Where the rest of it is running, that doesn't
really matter imho and it should be possible to run it on the
appengine.

Ondrej