On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Ondrej Certik<ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Robert
> Bradshaw<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>
>>> Well, let me say that I really like to run things on the appengine,
>>> rather than to constantly maintain our own servers. I see no reason
>>> why the notebook cannot run on the appengine, only the AJAX would talk
>>> to our own server with Sage to actually evaluate the cells (and for
>>> many people, I think appengine itself could actually be enough). I
>>> have to think though what the best way to transfer data to the
>>> database with worksheets is though.
>>
>> +1, though for Sage we rely heavily on compiled code. I wonder how
>> much introduced latency there would be if the backend were served on
>> a university computer, and the front end in appengine.
>
> I think none, it would be as fast as it is now (e.g. the browser
> communicating directly with the engine).

How is it "none", given that there are now three separate computers
involved instead of two?  There would have to be a little extra
latency, i.e., whatever there is between appengine and the "sage
engine".  That said, the internet is pretty fast these days :-).  And
the scalability of a decoupled approach like we're talking about is a
big plus, if it works.

By the way, if you haven't already, I personally think you should
start a mailing list, web page, trac, etc. for a separate notebook
project, since you're already writing code.   There's already some
confusion about where we are supposed to have this discussion -- and a
funny mix of sage-devel and codenode doesn't seem right.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics