Hi Javier,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM, javier<vengor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to get more involved with Sage developing, and
> "mathematical sanity check" looks like something I can certainly do
> and a nice way to get started, so I will try to jump into this one.

Welcome aboard! At the moment, there is no official quality assurance
team with respect to code quality, but any help is appreciated.

> Mind that I haven't been involved with Sage any further than the mail
> lists so far, so any pointers will be appreciated.

You might find the Developers' Guide helpful:

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/index.html

It covers topics like coding conventions, using Mercurial to manage
patches, and guidelines for things like reviewing other people's
patches. The sage-combinat team has written a tutorial on using
Mercurial for Sage development, so you might find that helpful:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/MercurialStepByStep

If you require more documentation about Mercurial, the official
website of Mercurial contains heaps of documentation ranging from
short tutorials to full-blown books and of course the standard
Mercurial documentation:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/

At Sage Days 16 in Barcelona, Spain, Martin Albrecht gave a talk on
how to get started with Sage development. You can find his talk slides
at the talks wiki page:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/days16

Sage development isn't just about writing computer code in some
programming language. You can also help out with translating the Sage
tutorial (or some other documentation) to another (human) language.
Presently, there are translations of the tutorial in French and
Spanish, which you can find here:

http://www.sagemath.org/help.html

Nathann Cohen has volunteered to help maintain a French mirror of Sage
and do more translation work:

http://www.sagemath.fr

I have recorded some of my experiences in Sage development in the
following blog post:

http://mvngu.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/getting-started-with-developing-sage/

Yes, I know... Shame on me for promoting myself :-)

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen