On Aug 24, 5:33 am, "Nicolas M. Thiery" <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr>
wrote:
>  - The problem with the map a -> (a,0) is only that 1_A is mapped to
>    (1_A,0) which is not 1_{A\oplusB} = (1_A,1_B), right?
>
>    Otherwise said, the category of NonUnitalAlgebras (which is not yet
>    implemented in Sage) indeed has a direct sum?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  There are maps of nonunital
algebras from each of A and B to A \oplus B, but I don't think A
\oplus B has the correct universal property: given ring maps f:A --> C
and g: B --> C, you want a map

h: A \oplus B --> C

compatible with f, g, and the inclusions of A, B into A \oplus B.
Since (a,b) = (a,0) + (0,b), I think the only way to define h is as h
(a,b) = f(a) + g(b).  But this isn't compatible with the product
structure: in general,

  h((a1,b1) (a2, b2))   !=    h(a1,b1)  h(a2,b2).

Either that, or I'm being completely silly (or cocompletely silly,
since we're talking about coproducts).

Regards,
  John