Hi John!

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:37:11PM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> 2009/8/23 Nicolas M. Thiery <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr>:
> > So you can focus on looking at the code, doc, and tests in the files
> > mentioned in:
> >
> >        http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CategoriesCategoriesReview
> >
> > possibly simply by browsing:
> >

> > http://combinat.sagemath.org/hgwebdir.cgi/code/file/tip/sage/categories)
> >
> > and make sure they makes sense.
>
> I don't really know how this type of reviewing differs from normal
> Sage reviewing of patches attached to trac tickets.

Just that you don't need to worry about the technical side (checking
that the patch applies, pass test, ...). Also setting a positive
review will be on the wiki page, file by file, rather than on the trac
ticket. Finally, there is essentially no datastructure/algorithm issue
in the current code (that will change!)

> But anyway, I looked at one file, finite_fields.py, and the method
> _call_() in there looks wrong -- it raises an error whatever the
> input, while the dicstring suggests that it is supposed to try using
> __call__() and only change the error message if that does not work.

It's the converse: __call__ tries to do generic stuff (like C(P)
returns P if P is readilly a parent in the category C), and if that
does not work calls _call_ (similar to what happens for __mul__ /
_mul). I actually haven't changed that part; that's how it is in the
original category framework.

See the doc of _call_ / __call__ in Category (sage.category.category.py).

Suggestions to improve the doctests to clarify this are welcome!

> If I have completely misunderstood what is going on, then I will
> carry on ignoring the category activity until it is finished,

Please don't!

> at which point I'm sure I will use it all the time!

Which is why I want as much "early" feedback from you as possible :-)

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nthi...@users.sf.net>