Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Jason Grout wrote:
>
>> So it sounds like the main problem is that the name "sage-next" would
>> apply to lots of different releases.  How about making it more specific,
>> like "sage-4.1.2-next"?
>>
>> Jason
>
> Why not 'beta' like most other projects? If something goes wrong, then one
> might
> have a beta2. I've never come across any other open-source project which adds
> 'next'.

Because usually "beta" is attached to the version number of the next
piece of software.  Our problem is that we don't want to arbitrarily
number the next version of software, because many times the scope has
not been accurately predicted at the start of the release cycle.

Normally "beta" is applied like this:

sage-4.1.1 -> sage-4.1.2-beta -> sage-4.1.2

At least a few people are agreeing that 4.1.2 should really have been
4.2.  The decision to keep the 4.1.2 number was done, at least in part,
because we already had lots of references to 4.1.2 (like
sage-4.1.2.alpha1).  We're trying to avoid here the mention of 4.1.2
until we know that it is the sort of scope that a double-point upgrade
suggests.  So we're suggesting something like:

sage-4.1.1 -> sage-4.1.1-next -> sage-4.1.2

(or probably, it would have been: sage-4.1.1 -> sage-4.1.1-next ->
sage-4.2, since we put off figuring out what the next number was until
we saw the scope of the changes).

Thanks,

Jason