On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:42:14 -0800 (PST), Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> my objection is that in order for your patch not to break things, you
> also have to patch
> irreducible_characters()
> in
> matrix_gps/matrix_group.py
> and
> perm_gps/permgroup.py
> (and perhaps in other places I might have missed)

And the patch at #8065 does precisely that.  Before submitting the
patch, I have also checked to see if there were other relevant places
(answer: no), and if tests pass (answer: yes, on my machine).

If you just fix the doctest without fixing the underlying problem in
irreducible_characters(), then as soon as someone adds more doctests
that just iterate through irreducible_characters(), we are again prone
to breakage at upgrades, etc.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/