On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Alex Ghitza <aghi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:42:14 -0800 (PST), Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> my objection is that in order for your patch not to break things, you
>> also have to patch
>> irreducible_characters()
>> in
>> matrix_gps/matrix_group.py
>> and
>> perm_gps/permgroup.py
>> (and perhaps in other places I might have missed)
>>

> And the patch at #8065 does precisely that.  Before submitting the
> patch, I have also checked to see if there were other relevant places
> (answer: no), and if tests pass (answer: yes, on my machine).

What Dima means is that the ordering returned by the character
must of course agree with the internal ordering of the conjugacy classes.
I assume (without having looked at your patch) that you are not
changing the functions at all but only the doctests of the functions?
Otherwise, you will somehow have to check that your character value
ordering is "in sync" with the conjugacy class ordering.