On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Alex Ghitza <aghi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:19:16 -0500, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What Dima means is that the ordering returned by the character
>> must of course agree with the internal ordering of the conjugacy classes.
>> I assume (without having looked at your patch) that you are not
>> changing the functions at all but only the doctests of the functions?
>> Otherwise, you will somehow have to check that your character value
>> ordering is "in sync" with the conjugacy class ordering.
>>

> Ah, excellent.  All I do is sort *the list of characters*, not the list
> of values appearing in each character.  (If you think of the character
> table as having the characters listed as rows and conjugacy classes
> listed as columns, I'm permuting the rows but leaving the columns
> intact.)  Does this make sense?  (I've been staring at a laptop screen
> for a bit too long today...)

Mathematically? Yes.
To implement in Sage? I think it is it more complicated than that.

> I don't have the time to look into this at this very moment, so the rest
> of this is speculation: we might want to give the same treatment to the
> function that returns the list of conjugacy classes, to avoid similar
> problems.  That would mean that we're permuting the columns.  Still,
> we're doing the same operations across, so the table won't get "out of
> sync", it will just be ordered differently.

You want the ordering of the characters to be consistent with the
ordering of the conjugacy classes always. For most groups, there is
no natural ordering but for some there are. My understanding is that
you can't "fix" the ordering in any way you like unless you are at  least
sure that it preserves the ordering of groups for which a natural
ordering exists (eg, the symmetric group).

My suggestion is to leave the ordering the way GAP (and I think
also Magma) have fixed them. If you think that should change, for
whatever reason, i think more GAP group people at least should
be consulted on how to resolve the problem. However, if you just
want to sort the output in the doctests (or even have a non-default
"sorted" method added to the conj class and char functions,
whcih would be a huge amount or work IMHO) then that is
a different matter.