On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:19:16 -0500, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What Dima means is that the ordering returned by the character
> must of course agree with the internal ordering of the conjugacy classes.
> I assume (without having looked at your patch) that you are not
> changing the functions at all but only the doctests of the functions?
> Otherwise, you will somehow have to check that your character value
> ordering is "in sync" with the conjugacy class ordering.

Ah, excellent.  All I do is sort *the list of characters*, not the list
of values appearing in each character.  (If you think of the character
table as having the characters listed as rows and conjugacy classes
listed as columns, I'm permuting the rows but leaving the columns
intact.)  Does this make sense?  (I've been staring at a laptop screen
for a bit too long today...)

I don't have the time to look into this at this very moment, so the rest
of this is speculation: we might want to give the same treatment to the
function that returns the list of conjugacy classes, to avoid similar
problems.  That would mean that we're permuting the columns.  Still,
we're doing the same operations across, so the table won't get "out of
sync", it will just be ordered differently.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/