After reading

http://blogs.sun.com/janp/entry/on_openssl_versions_in_solaris

I discovered that Sun do ship Open SSL 0.9.7, complete with any
security fixes, with Solaris. Sun obviously have some agreement with
the OpenSSL developers, as they will know of security vunrabilites
before they are made public.

The problem is that OpenSSL resides in a directory /usr/sfw/lib,

kir...@t2:[~] $ ls /usr/sfw/lib/libssl*
/usr/sfw/lib/libssl.so              /usr/sfw/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
 /usr/sfw/lib/libssl_extra.so.0.9.7

which is not on the standard search path for Python. That might be
something the Python developers could fix, but we could fix it in Sage
quite easily. By linking against the OpenSSL in /usr/sfw/lib, we are
linking against something normally supplied with the operating system,
so would not be in breach of the GPL.

That does not resolve the issue with Cygwin, one can hardly claim
OpenSSL is part of that, when you have to take action to download it,
and just accepting the defaults will not give you OpenSSL. Perhaps if
the Cygwin developers were made aware of this, they would include the
libraries by default. It would add about 1.5 MB (assuming they are the
same size as on Solaris, which will not be true, but they are unlikely
to be considerably different in size).

Dave