On Feb 9, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

From reading the GPL, it would appear that Sage should print more information than it currently does when it starts.

Specifically

1) State the program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY when it starts up in command line mode

2) Should display the fact the program is GPL if used in a browser, and indicate how the user can see a full copy of the license. Currently when run in a browser, there is no information about the GPL at all.

Section 2 says:

  c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
   when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
   interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
   announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
   notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
   a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
   these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
   License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
   does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
   the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

The way I read this is that if you take a program that used to print out the license information, you're not allowed to omit such information in a modified version. The rest is just suggestions.

I strongly dislike huge banners (especially ones full of all caps, legalese, and political statements) and I think the current banner is good enough--license() gives you the whole thing.

If run from a browser, which is clearly a normal way of using Sage, there is no statement at all that the program is GPL at the minute. Looking at

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/

I can see

* No indication whatsoever the program is GPL
* No information it is free
* No information about how to see the license.

For all an end-user knows, this could be a propriety program.

The "splash screen" does have a big blub about Open Source. I agree there should be something, I personally think that a line "Sage is released under the [http://localhost:8000/GPL.txt | GPL]." would be good enough.

- Robert