Try sending a question to FSF. I'm sure they'd give you
an authoritative answer. Stallman has answered every
question I ever sent him.

Tim Daly

Tom Boothby wrote:
Context is important.  The GPL doesn't say that every GPL'd
interactive program must print a banner.  It says that if such a
banner is printed by a current GPL'd programs, then *if you distribute
a modified copy*, that copy must also print the banner.

The "most ordinary manner of running Sage" isn't running a modified
interactive GPL'd program.  Looks to me like the closest we've got is
iPython, which is BSD'd, so we don't need to print its banner.  And
the notebook is its own project, so it doesn't have to inherit
anybody's banner either.