William Stein wrote:
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
The latest release of R in Sage will not build without iconv on Solaris. The
option to disable the use of iconv, which was previously done in
spkg-install, no longer functions. R *needs* iconv, and the one in Solaris
is not suitable.

Hence I propose that iconv is made a standard package.

I've created a ticket

and have also created the package - see

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/new-packages/iconv/

At this point, I've marked the ticket as 'needs info' as I have no added the
Mercurial repository, so it is not really ready for review. But the only
change I intend making is to add the repository. Hence it would be useful if
people could test this.

I've tested it on

   * sage.math Linux (defaults to 64-bit)
   * bsd.math OS X (defaults to 64-bit)
   * OpenSolaris 06/2009 on a Sun Ultra 27 (Intel Xeon processor) - 32-bit
   * OpenSolaris 06/2009 on a Sun Ultra 27 (Intel Xeon processor) - 64-bit.
   * Solaris 10 03/2005 on a Sun Blade 1000 (UltraSPARC III+ processor) -
32-bit
   * Solaris 10 03/2005 on a Sun Blade 1000 (UltraSPARC III+ processor) -
64-bit

All tests pass, except on Solaris 10 (SPARC) where one dumps core. I'll just
have to live with that for now. I will report it to the developers.

So can this go into the standard distribution?

Have I overlooked anything in SPKG.txt or spkg-install?

Wow, thanks for all this work getting this together.

I personally think that iconv should be much more easily allowed in as
a standard Sage package (no big waiting period when it is optional
etc.) since it is now _required_ by a standard Sage package (namely
R).

 -- William

The iconv package is now ready for review.

spkg-check now exists, along with the Mercurial repositories.

The files $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/install and $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/deps are attached to the ticket.

Please review

which should be useful on both Solaris and Cygwin.

Dave