kcrisman wrote:

On Feb 15, 9:26 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
kcrisman wrote:
One could then update the R spkg for adding iconv support.  There is
currently a ticket with a .p0 spkg for R adding Mac graphics support
(removing the no-aqua options) and some other graphics-related stuff
which is on hold for some other stuff, but it would instead make sense
to just get that one out the door with the iconv added (assuming it
built properly everywhere) and make even better R graphics support a
different ticket.
- kcrisman
There is a ticket for this

which covers the iconv case (but not aqua) on both Solaris and OS X.

However, iconv support is *mandatory* now for R, so the previous option used to
disable iconv (--with-iconv=no) is no longer a valid option to configure.

Here is the result from the build on Solaris, where Sun's cut-down iconv was
installed, but the option to disable it was given:

checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for iconv... yes
checking whether iconv accepts "UTF-8", "latin1" and "UCS-*"... no
configure: error: a suitable iconv is essential

The R manual makes it clear iconv is required. (Previous versions permitted
iconv to be disabled, but gave a warning:

configure: WARNING: --with-iconv=no is deprecated and will be withdrawn shortly

If you type

configure --help

you will no longer see any option listed to disable iconv.

Unfortunately, it seems the R package does not exit if you give it silly
options, so giving --with-iconv=no is silently ignored.

I can only assume that there is iconv on OS X, like there was on Solaris.
However, the previous R manual made it clear a 'powerful' version of iconv was
needed, and the one on Solaris was not suitable. Hence it was necessary to
disable iconv support on Solaris.

Whether the new iconv package will allow any extra functionality to be added on
OS X I do not know, but there must be some iconv support in OS X, otherwise R
would not build at all.

I know little of such things, but you must be right, I guess.  Note
that iconv is only disabled for 64-bit builds:

    if [ "$SAGE64" = "yes" ]; then
       echo "Disabling iconv on 64 bit OSX"
       OSXFW="--enable-R-framework=no --with-iconv=no"; export OSXFW

The history of this disabling is at
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3196.
Interesting that no one has reported problems with the updated R spkg
on 64-bit OSX, that I can remember, but apparently you are right that
this flag is simply now ignored *and* that there must now be 64-bit
libiconv support (whatever that is).

- kcrisman

R's spkg-install needs an overhaul, as noted in my previous email (which It seems to have invalid options, invalid comments, and various other issues. It would appear we could potentially get better performance too, at the cost of installing other libraries.

It would appear to me that there are a collection of desirable things for Sage, like latex, additonal libraries for R, which could be listed on a:

'Nice oo have, but not essential' page.

Dave