On Feb 15, 12:23 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> kcrisman wrote:
> >> R's spkg-install needs an overhaul, as noted in my previous email (which
> >> It
> >> seems to have invalid options, invalid comments, and various other issues.
> >> It
> >> would appear we could potentially get better performance too, at the cost
> >> of
> >> installing other libraries.
>
> > If you could point those out explicitly on the new ticket you created,
> > that would be awesome.
>
> Actually, I think I should create a new ticket, for
>
> "R's spkg-install needs a good overhaul"
>
> or something like that, as the ticket I created is very specific to the iconv
> code. The problems with R's spkg-install appear to go far beyond that.
>
> > With regard to the R graphics ticket, does Solaris automatically (or
> > Linux, for that matter) have Xwindows support?
>
> Solaris supports X. There is a directory /usr/include/X11, which has loads of
> related files. However, R's spkg-install has these 7 lines of code:

> # I have problems with this on OSX Intel 10.5.1 -- for now just turn it off.
> # It will be good to get something fully working before worrying about X.
> if [ -f /usr/include/X11/Xwindows.h ]; then
>      XSUPPORT=yes
> else
>      XSUPPORT=no
> fi
>
> I don't have the file /usr/include/X11/Xwindows.h on my Solaris boxes, so X is
> disabled. I noticed sage.math does have that file, so I assume X is enabled on
> Linux (at least on sage.math).
>
> The fact the problem mentioned in spkg-install appeared to have been on OSX
> Intel 10.5.1, has not stopped someone disabling X on every platform if
> /usr/include/X11/Xwindows.h does not exist.
>
> I don't know if the file /usr/include/X11/Xwindows.h is mandatory for R to
> support X.

See the ticket about R graphics (don't have the # in front of me) for
an update on this, and a link to an spkg.  However, I know nothing
about X; the current spkg changes things to use quartz for Mac and
continue to look for this file for Xwindows.  Any comments you have
about graphics-specific things like this you should put on that
ticket.

> It strikes me that packages get updated, and nobody actually looks *carefully*
> at what implications that update might have. In this case, the update broke
> the
> build on Solaris, has useless options, patches that might not be needed, and
> might be undesirable .... etc.

Yes, please let us know about the other stuff (problems not related to
iconv or X) on a new ticket.

<unrelated-to-R>
But in response to the other comments, the reality is that often
someone updating an spkg needs the new functionality on a few
platforms, and knows very little about configuration and/or other
platforms.  If it doesn't break something on currently supported
platforms, we seem to go with upgrades.  If we had an easier way to do
it automatically, that would help a lot, as we've both mentioned
before.  I certainly know there is no way I would every contribute to
Sage if I needed to test things on Solaris, Linux, Mac, and Cygwin; I
barely have the time to do it on Mac for patches, and Mac and Linux
for spkgs.
</unrelated-to-R>

Thanks for your valuable help on this stuff!  It will make Sage so
much more stable long-term, I think.

- kcrisman