On Feb 15, 9:26 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> kcrisman wrote:
> > One could then update the R spkg for adding iconv support.  There is
> > currently a ticket with a .p0 spkg for R adding Mac graphics support
> > (removing the no-aqua options) and some other graphics-related stuff
> > which is on hold for some other stuff, but it would instead make sense
> > to just get that one out the door with the iconv added (assuming it
> > built properly everywhere) and make even better R graphics support a
> > different ticket.
>
> > - kcrisman
>
> There is a ticket for this
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8272
>
> which covers the iconv case (but not aqua) on both Solaris and OS X.
>
> However, iconv support is *mandatory* now for R, so the previous option used
> disable iconv (--with-iconv=no) is no longer a valid option to configure.
>
> Here is the result from the build on Solaris, where Sun's cut-down iconv was
> installed, but the option to disable it was given:
>
> checking iconv.h usability... yes
> checking iconv.h presence... yes
> checking for iconv.h... yes
> checking for iconv... yes
> checking whether iconv accepts "UTF-8", "latin1" and "UCS-*"... no
> configure: error: a suitable iconv is essential
>
> The R manual makes it clear iconv is required. (Previous versions permitted
> iconv to be disabled, but gave a warning:
>
> configure: WARNING: --with-iconv=no is deprecated and will be withdrawn
> shortly
>
> If you type
>
> configure --help
>
> you will no longer see any option listed to disable iconv.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems the R package does not exit if you give it silly
> options, so giving --with-iconv=no is silently ignored.
>
> I can only assume that there is iconv on OS X, like there was on Solaris.
> However, the previous R manual made it clear a 'powerful' version of iconv was
> needed, and the one on Solaris was not suitable. Hence it was necessary to
> disable iconv support on Solaris.
>
> Whether the new iconv package will allow any extra functionality to be added
> on
> OS X I do not know, but there must be some iconv support in OS X, otherwise R
> would not build at all.

I know little of such things, but you must be right, I guess.  Note
that iconv is only disabled for 64-bit builds:

    if [ "$SAGE64" = "yes" ]; then
       echo "Disabling iconv on 64 bit OSX"
       OSXFW="--enable-R-framework=no --with-iconv=no"; export OSXFW

The history of this disabling is at
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3196.
Interesting that no one has reported problems with the updated R spkg
on 64-bit OSX, that I can remember, but apparently you are right that
this flag is simply now ignored *and* that there must now be 64-bit
libiconv support (whatever that is).

- kcrisman