On Feb 15, 7:02 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
> > <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> >> The latest release of R in Sage will not build without iconv on Solaris.
> >> The
> >> option to disable the use of iconv, which was previously done in
> >> spkg-install, no longer functions. R *needs* iconv, and the one in Solaris
> >> is not suitable.
>
> >> Hence I propose that iconv is made a standard package.
>
> >> I've created a ticket
>
> >>http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8191
>
> >> and have also created the package - see
>
> >>http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/new-packages/iconv/
>
> >> At this point, I've marked the ticket as 'needs info' as I have no added
> >> the
> >> Mercurial repository, so it is not really ready for review. But the only
> >> change I intend making is to add the repository. Hence it would be useful
> >> if
> >> people could test this.
>
> >> I've tested it on
>
> >>    * sage.math Linux (defaults to 64-bit)
> >>    * bsd.math OS X (defaults to 64-bit)
> >>    * OpenSolaris 06/2009 on a Sun Ultra 27 (Intel Xeon processor) - 32-bit
> >>    * OpenSolaris 06/2009 on a Sun Ultra 27 (Intel Xeon processor) - 64-bit.
> >>    * Solaris 10 03/2005 on a Sun Blade 1000 (UltraSPARC III+ processor) -
> >> 32-bit
> >>    * Solaris 10 03/2005 on a Sun Blade 1000 (UltraSPARC III+ processor) -
> >> 64-bit
>
> >> All tests pass, except on Solaris 10 (SPARC) where one dumps core. I'll
> >> just
> >> have to live with that for now. I will report it to the developers.
>
> >> So can this go into the standard distribution?
>
> >> Have I overlooked anything in SPKG.txt or spkg-install?
>
> > Wow, thanks for all this work getting this together.
>
> > I personally think that iconv should be much more easily allowed in as
> > a standard Sage package (no big waiting period when it is optional
> > etc.) since it is now _required_ by a standard Sage package (namely
> > R).
>
> >  -- William
>
> The iconv package is now ready for review.

One could then update the R spkg for adding iconv support.  There is
currently a ticket with a .p0 spkg for R adding Mac graphics support
(removing the no-aqua options) and some other graphics-related stuff
which is on hold for some other stuff, but it would instead make sense
to just get that one out the door with the iconv added (assuming it
built properly everywhere) and make even better R graphics support a
different ticket.

- kcrisman